Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Childlike Days

How many people out there understand the importance of spending at least some of your time doing childlike things? I hope lots.

I've always found a certain beautiful joy in reliving childhood memories, be it pulling out the giant box of legos, flying a kite, splashing in puddles, and the like.

This weekend my girlfriend and I went to a treehouse exhibit and it was a GREAT time. If you live in/around Delaware County, PA it's a fun trip. It's at the Tyler Arboretum and heck is it fun. They have a bunch of them mapped out, and they all have a theme, like Three Little Pigs go Eco Friendly (with the straw, wood and brick houses, all with eco-friendly mods), Drum Circle (a treehouse shaped like a giant guitar/drum with a drum room where they have all kinds of percussion instruments for you to bang as loud as you want!!!) It was a blast, and not only did we enjoy watching the kids play and scream with fun, we climbed into most of them ourselves and had a grand old time. Although we did avoid the Bug House, where you had to climb these wet metal poles to get up. Just seemed too rainy/slippery for me. I know I know, no sense of adventure.

The day just made me really appreciate the little things, as I've always felt were important. We sat on a bench and people-watched, I sat by the pond and watched tadpoles, trying to figure out a way to bring a few home, wandered around the woods, it was nice.

I think there are many positives to playing. Stress reliever. Relaxing. And it's just really simple fun. A few weeks ago we actually did pull out the legos and had a challenge: we each had to make a vehicle and then we would race them down a hill to see who made the better car. Simple and fun. Even if I DID keep losing.

So I guess my thought for the blog is to play. Everyone. If you're reading this, go to the dollar store and buy a kite, or a frisbee, take out your old transformers and transform them. Go to the park and swing. Do something childlike. I swear it won't kill you.

Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment